Sunday, June 27, 2010

Needle in a Haystack

This weekend I had one of those rare experiences in shopping that I'm sure many vintage sellers live for. I found an ad for an estate sale, which turned out to be a yard sale. You can imagine my disappointment.

Now I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with yard sales, but fantastic vintage clothing is not something you usually find at a regular yard sale. There were piles of clothing on tables and in bins and the temperatures were reaching 95 plus degrees and for a moment I felt completely overwhelmed, but for those of us who love vintage we know that one of the thrills is the hunt. It's what I call hunting for treasure.

I went to work and my perserverance paid off. I found the needle in the haystack, a beautiful 1950's negligee set at the very bottom of a bin of purses. I could hear the trumpets sounding! To top it off, when I got home and starting researching the label, I not only found the label but the original ad for the very same negligee that I bought! I couldn't believe. I would say that this ranked as one of my best vintage shopping days ever.

Here's the ad straight from 1951.

Kickernick

And here's my treasure. Can you believe it's in mint condition!? I'll be posting it in the shop later today.


3 comments:

  1. What a stunning nightgown! The advert reminds me a bit of Vivian Leigh in Gone with the Wind. I wish I could have spent the morning with you and Carrie. Soon though, hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome and beautiful nightgown! Exciting find!! :)

    Samantha
    SmellyShoesVintage.BlogSpot.Com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deoma's:) I just found your blog and etsy shop and I love them both:)

    This nightgown is so, so lovely! Yard sales can be fun if you look at the experience the way you did-as an adventure! Congratulations on the exciting find!

    ReplyDelete